Faith and worship were an important part of the lives of the colonists in the 18th century. People living in the region of “Newbury,” later incorporated into the town of Brookfield in 1788, traveled to New Milford, Newtown, and Danbury to attend church. In 1752, Newbury residents attending various churches were given permission to meet in homes during the winter months.
Historical records indicate that prior to the Revolutionary War parishioners of the Church of England in Newbury, later to be known as Episcopalians, erected the walls of a new church building. The project was interrupted by the war.
Just before the first General Convention of the Episcopal Church in 1785, 55 Newbury residents declared themselves to be members of the Episcopal Society of Newbury. Their first church building was established on a piece of land south of the present day Congregational Church of Brookfield.
In 1787 Rev. Philo Perry was ordained priest upon a title from the church at Newbury and from Christ’s Church (now Trinity) in Newtown by Bishop Samuel Seabury, the first bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States of America.
The second church edifice was erected in 1837 on our current property, and was consecrated as “Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church at Brookfield.” This church building stood until Valentine’s Day 1937 when it was destroyed by fire.
Our current stone church was designed to model a country church in Dorset, England, and was constructed in 1938. The pulpit and lectern were rescued from the 1937 fire, and are now used in the church. The floorplan of the church is shaped in a cross, with the altar at the head. A wing of offices, classrooms, and a conference room was added in 1957, and later renovated in 2014.
The church’s stain glass windows were designed and crafted by Leonard Howard of Kent, Connecticut, and follow the liturgy of the Episcopal Church. The stained glass window at the altar commemorates Saint Paul, and was gifted by the youth of the parish in 1938. The baptismal window in the rear of the sanctuary displays "Jesus with the Children.” The window at the organ and choir features harps and angels. And the east and west side windows maintain the church liturgy commemorating the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and the twelve Apostles.